For more information on training issues please visit our Training Courses page
Kayak fishing is fishing from a kayak or from a canoe. Both types of craft can be used as platforms to fish from. The kayak has long been a means of transportation and a means of accessing fishing grounds and none more so than today. Kayak fishing has gained popularity as the Sit on Top (SOT) kayaks have been developed.
Many of the techniques used in kayak fishing are essentially the same as those used on other fishing boats however the handling of a kayak/canoe requires various different skills especially when landing a catch. The kayak/canoe is an environmentally friendly craft and leaves no trace of its passing not even ripples thus is an ideal craft from which to fish due to its quiet approach to fishing grounds etc.
Many members of the BCU already fish from kayaks. The membership of Canoe England and its associated federal bodies can provide significant benefits for people taking part in kayak fishing.
What does membership give you?
• Licenses to canoe on 5,000km of Britain's waterways
This includes BW waterways and many other rivers & canals including the River Thames.
• 3rd Party Liability Insurance (up to £10 million)
• Canoe Focus magazine delivered bi-monthly
• Great rates on boat insurance
• 10% discount at selected canoe and kayak retailers!
• 15% discount on all Cotswold Outdoor products
(with £5 of every £100 spent going back to the Young People's canoeing)
• Save £7.45 (over 20%) when subscribing to 12 issues of Canoe & Kayak UK magazine!
• 20% discount on Science in Sport products
To join Canoe England visit www.canoe-england.org.uk/join.aspx
To join Canoe Wales, Canoe Association of Northern Ireland or Canoe Scotland please go to their respective websites
Please note there are life, adult and youth memberships available. Licences, insurance and discounts are the same for these membership categories.